The Last Outlaws by Thom Hatch (2013)
Available format: Standard book
“The Old West was coming to an end. Two legendary outlaws refused to go with it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid—as leaders of the Wild Bunch, they planned and executed the most daring bank and train robberies of the day, with a professionalism never before seen by authorities. The close calls were many, but Butch and Sundance always managed to escape to rob again another day—that is, until they rode headlong into the 20th century. Knowing their time was up, Butch and Sundance, along with a mysterious beauty named Etta Place, headed to South America, vowing to leave their criminal careers behind. But riding the trails of Chile, Argentina and Bolivia, Butch and Sundance would find that crime wasn’t through with them just yet.”—Amazon
Praise for Thom Hatch:
- In The Last Outlaws, Thom Hatch brings these memorable characters to life like never before: Butch, the brains of the outfit; Sundance, the man of action; and the men on both sides of the law whom they fought with and against. From their early holdup attempts to that fateful day in Bolivia, author Thom hatch draws on a wealth of fresh research to go beyond the myth and provide a compelling new look at these legends of the Wild West.” --Amazon
Other books by Thom Hatch:
- Clashes of Calvary: The Civil War Careers of George Armstrong Custer and Jeb Stuart (2001) Available format: Standard book. Library Copies
- Encyclopedia of the Alamo and the Texas Revolution (1999) Available format: Standard print book. Library Copies
Other books and films about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
- Butch Cassidy Beyond the Grave (2012) by C. W. Jameson Available format: Standard print book. Library Copies
- The Sundance Kid: the Life of Harry Alonzo Longabaugh (2009) by Donna B. Ernst Available format: Standard print book. Library Copies
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Originally released 1969) DVD Directed by George Roy Hill and starring Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Katherine Ross.Library Copies
- The Legend of Butch and Sundance (2008) DVD Directed by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan and starring David Rogers, Ryan Browning, Rachelle Lefevre.
- Blackthorn (2011) DVD Directed by Mateo Gil and starring Sam Shepard, Eduardo Noriega, and Stephen Rea.
Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason
Available formats: Book and eBook
”There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard. But it could always be worse. . . .
More than a year ago, mild-mannered Jason Getty killed a man he wished he’d never met. Then he planted the problem a little too close to home. Police unearth two bodies on his property—neither of which is the one Jason buried. As the action unfolds, involved parties discover that knowing more than one side of the story doesn't necessarily rule out a deadly margin of error.” -- Amazon
Praise for Three Graves Full
- “Three Graves Full is something special—an offbeat, high-class mystery that blends black humor with dark lyricism, and deft, intricate plotting with dead-on psychological insight.” – Tana French, Edgar Award—winning author of In the Woods.
Praise for Jamie Mason:
- “Three Graves Full is an astonishing debut novel, smart and stylish and wonderfully light on its feet. Jamie Mason writes crisp, surprising sentences, and this aura of wit infuses her lovely plot with an absolutely Hitchcockian menace. I think she was probably born to be a writer, and I eagerly look forward to whatever she will do next.” –Peter Straub, #1 New York Times bestselling coauthor of The Talisman.
- “Jamie Mason wields a pen that magically blends beautiful prose with unrelenting thrills. Each page delivers something new and fresh; in her hands, even the mundane becomes extraordinary. Grab a chair with a comfortable edge, because Mason will keep you poised there until the final page.” –Alex Adams, critically acclaimed author of White Horse.
The Aviator’s Wife: a Novel by Melanie Benjamin
Available formats: Book and eAudio
“Anne Morrow Lindbergh, lived her life in the shadows. First the shadow of her father, Dwight Whitney Morrow, the U.S. Ambassador to Mexico (1927-1930), and then the shadow of her famous husband, Colonel Charles Lindbergh, whom she met after his 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Because she was eclipsed by those around her, not much is known of Anne’s personal life. Indeed, Melanie Benjamin did not find her task of bringing Anne back into the light as easy as the other ladies she has researched. But then, it was the mystery of Anne that attracted Melanie and drove her to learn more.
Despite the fact that this book is a fictionalization of Annie’s life, Melanie has succeeded in giving the reader some measure of what Annie’s life must have been like. With the help of in depth research and more than just a little intuition, Melanie paints a picture of Anne Lindbergh never before imagined. From her tumultuous highs, to her heartbreaking lows, you will learn that Anne Morrow Lindbergh is more than just “the Aviator’s Wife”.
Praise for The Aviator’s Wife -
- “A story of both triumph and pain that will take your breath away.”—Kate Alcott, author of The Dressmaker
- “An unflinching exploration of the most intriguing, public, and tragic marriage of the twentieth century.”—Francine Mathews, author of Jack 1939
- “Offers a fascinating glimpse into the uneasy marriage of one of America’s most intriguing couples. Be prepared to question all you know about the Lindberghs.”—Cathy Marie Buchanan, author of The Painted Girls
Also by Melanie Benjamin –
- Alice I Have Been: A Novel (2012) Library Copies; Available formats: Book & eBook
- The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb: A Novel (2012) Library Copies; Book & eAudio
Checkout these titles:
- The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott (2012) Library Copies; Book
- Jack 1939 by Francine Mathews (2012) Library Copies; Book
- The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan (2013) Library Copies; Book
- Loving Frank by Nancy Horan (2007) Library Copies: Book, eBook & Audio CD
- The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (2011) Library Copies; Book, eBook & eAudio
Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
Author: Mark L. Donald, with Scott Mactavish
Available format: Book
“The gripping memoir of Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart recipient SEAL Lieutenant Mark L. Donald.
As A SEAL and combat medic, Mark served his country with valorous distinction for almost twenty-five years and survived some of the most dangerous combat actions imaginable.
From the rigors of BUD/S training to the horrors of the battlefield, Battle Ready dramatically immerses the reader in the unique life of the elite warrior-medic who advances into combat with life-saving equipment in one hand and life-taking weapons in the other. It is also an uplifting human story that reveals how a young Hispanic American bootstrapped himself out of a life that promised a dead-end future by enlisting in the military. That new life begins with the Marines and includes his heroic achievements on the battlefield and the operating table, and finally, of his inspirational triumph over the demons caused by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that threatened to destroy him and his family.” -- Amazon
Review -- Amazon
- "Although he doesn't like the term, Mark is a true American hero. Battle Ready is a well-written journey from training to combat to recovery." —Howard Wasdin, New York Times bestselling author of Seal Team Six
- “Battle Ready is a compelling account of a remarkable American’s journey in the military. Mark Donald’s journey is unique and contains many lessons in life for everyone to reflect upon. There is no bravado and self-serving intent in this book. It is written from the heart from an American hero, and that alone makes it worth reading.”—Wade Ishimoto, Former Senior Advisor to Assistant Secretary of Defense, Special Operations / Low Intensity Conflict
About the Authors
- MARK L. DONALD, the son of a retired U.S. Army Warrant Officer and a Mexican mother, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps before transferring to the Navy to train as a Corpsman. He subsequently completed Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training and served in SEALs until 1996 when he was selected for the Intra-service Physician Assistant Program. He graduated from the University of Nebraska and was commissioned a Medical Service Corps officer. Following the September 11 terrorist attacks, he was assigned as operational medical support to special operations where he served in a number of capacities until his retirement. Donald was awarded the Navy Cross, the highest medal awarded by the Department of the Navy, for extraordinary heroism while engaged in enemy action against Al Qaeda fighters in southern Afghanistan. He lives in Chesapeake, Virginia.
- SCOTT MACTAVISH is an author, filmmaker and veteran of the United States Navy.
Deadly Stakes: A Novel (Ali Reynolds Mystery) by J. A. Jance (2013)
Available format: Book (regular and large print)
"Police academy-trained former reporter Ali Reynolds is contacted to investigate the grisly murder of a gold-digging divorcee on behalf of a woman accused of the crime. Lynn Martinson is dating the dead woman’s ex-husband, and she and her boyfriend Chip Ralston have been charged.
Ali is simultaneously drawn to the case of A.J. Sanders, a frightened teen with secrets of his own. Ali struggles to determine if A.J. and Lynn’s cases are related. Though her friends in the police department grow increasingly irritated by her involvement with the cases, Ali must stop a deadly killer from claiming another victim…before she herself is lost in this game of deadly stakes.” – Amazon
Praise for Deadly Stakes –
- “A truly thrilling case with red herrings, characters coming out of the woodwork, back stories that will make you gasp, and a conclusion that you will not see coming!” (Suspense Magazine)
Praise for J. A. Jance -
- “Jance starts her books fast… and keeps things moving with cinematic panache… You want an accessible thriller? Jance is your gal… Engaging and entertaining” (L A Times)
Other Ali Reynolds Mysteries –
Have you downloaded the latest update to the Overdrive Media Console mobile app? This release now displays the Next Generation website.
Find a Book then Read It! No need to worry about Adobe IDs or Adobe Digital Editions. Just “See Book—Read Book” in your browser or download to the App.
No more “add to cart” or “confirm checkout” so now checkout is a breeze.
Experience the Next Generation today!
Stop thinking that you can’t. We know that you can. Conquer your goals with the library’s collection of popular “For Dummies” series titles from John Wiley.
Browse these titles to help you learn about your iPad, prepare for a college entrance exam, learn to use your HDTV, plan your own wedding, practice a foreign language, or teach your old dog a new trick.
Touch & Go: A novel by Lisa Gardner
Available formats: Book (regular print & large print) and book on cd
"Justin and Libby Denbe were a happily married couple who had it all: a beautiful teen aged daughter; grand home in a high brow neighborhood; admiring friends and family; and a lucrative family business. Everything seemed perfect, until the day the Danbe family vanished. Investigator Tessa Leoni is hired by the Danbe Construction Company to solve the crime, but she must first wrist the case from Boston Detectives, D.D. Warren and Neil Cap. D.D. is none too pleased, but provides Tessa with their initial findings, before handing off the case. Tessa inspects the crime scene, but there is little in the way of leads. The evidence suggests that the family was kidnapped, but why has no one demanded a ransom? Tessa sets about picking apart the Danbe’s perfect world to get at the truth, but she is not alone in this hunt. Enter North County New Hampshire Sheriff’s Detective, Wyatt Foster, who is conducting an investigation of his own, despite interference from Special Federal Agent Nicole Adams. In the meantime, the Danbe family must survive their terrifying captivity as best they can. In the end Tessa, Wyatt and Nicole must piece together all of their facts to solve the case. They are in for the shock."
Praise for Touch & Go:
- "This no-holds-barred stand-alone from Thriller Award–winner Gardner opens with the brutally efficient kidnapping of the Denbe family.…Gardner effectively alternates between the physical and emotional disintegration of the family under the pressure of their captivity and the efforts of [Invesigator Tessa] Leoni and company to dig into the secrets of Denbe Construction, its key employees, and its finances, as well as to locate the Denbes. The suspense builds as the action races to a spectacular conclusion and the unmasking of the plot’s mastermind." —Publishers Weekly
Praise for Lisa Gardner:
- "Gardner’s depiction of a woman in the midst of emotional chaos is spot on, as usual, and she proves herself just as capable when it comes to creating intriguing men. Readers will want to see more of Wyatt, just as they grew to appreciate Bobby Dodge in Gardner’s earlier books." —Booklist
Other titles by Lisa Gardner: Library Copies
- Catch Me (A D. D. Warren novel) (2012)
Available formats: Book (regular print and large print) and audio book.
- Love You More (A D. D. Warren novel) (2011)
Available formats:Book (regular print and large print), audio book, eBook and eAudio.
- Live to Tell (A D. D. Warren novel) (2010)
Available formats: Book (regular print and large print), audio book and eBook.
In the Kitchen with David: QVC’s Resident Foodie Presents Comfort Foods that Takes You Home by David Venable (2012)
Foreword by Paula Deen.
Available format: Book
“David Venable will be the first to tell you: He loves his food. And as the beloved host of QVC’s popular program, In the Kitchen with David,® he’s put that passion on mouthwatering display, welcoming some of the greatest names in the food world. But Venable’s own culinary skills—honed in the Carolina kitchens of his mother and grandmothers—are nothing short of remarkable and tantalizing.
Now, in his anticipated debut cookbook, Venable shares 150 delicious recipes of hearty, easy-to-make, comforting dishes. In the Kitchen with David covers everything from appetizers and breads to soups and salads to main courses and sides, as well as his lifelong love of bacon (The Divine Swine!). You’ll get ideas for quick Monday-to-Friday dinners, let-it-cook-all-weekend suppers, savory breakfasts and brunches, cocktail party fun, game-day eats, and family reunion feasts. And of course, no Southern-influenced cookbook is complete without a little something sweet.
Loaded with gorgeous photographs, helpful “Dishin’ with David” tips, and personal anecdotes, In the Kitchen with David encourages you and your family to gather around the dinner table for great meals and, more important, great memories. After all, the portions are generous; the options are limitless.” -- Amazon
Praise for In the Kitchen with David -
- “In the Kitchen with David truly represents David’s love of food and family. It feels like a little slice of Southern heaven. Easy, delightful, and delicious!”—Anne Burrell, author of Cook Like a Rock Star
- “When it comes to comfort, no one dishes it up better than David! Filled with warmth and scrumptious recipes, this book is guaranteed to make you do the happy dance.”—Marlene Koch, author of Eat What You Love and Eat MORE of What You Love
Praise for David Venable -
- “David Venable’s unbridled love for good, hearty comfort food is absolutely infectious. He knows what delicious food tastes like, and one peek at the recipes in his book had me positively drooling. I haven’t been this excited about a cookbook in a long, long time!”—Ree Drummond, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks
- “David definitely knows his way around the kitchen, and he sure gets cooking with some comfort food in this book. And that’s saying something coming from the two of us comfort food lovers!”—Pat and Gina Neely, hosts of Down Home with the Neelys
Look for these wonderful books by the above reviewers:
- Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons & Culinary Secrets by Anne Burrell (2011) Available format: Book---Library Copies
- Eat More of What You Love by Marlene Koch (2012) Available format: Book
- The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier by Ree Drummond (2012) Available format: Book---Library Copies
- Down Home with the Neely: a Southern Family Cookbook by Pat & Gina Neely (2009) Available format: Book---Library Copies
- Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible by Paula Deen (2011) Available format: Book